Friday, February 09, 2007

Passion, Creativity, Technology: Solutions for What?

Passion about technology is contagious. We admire passionate and exciting people who are creating amazing technology solutions.

I admire myself when I can create something out of an idea :-)

Do we go the next step and ask why we admire them or why we don't question ourselves more?

Not really....because the real answers are embarrassing:
  • "Because I can, therefore I am and I have meaning." ...or
  • "See how much smarter than I am then you?" or....
  • "People will notice me..."

It's politically incorrect to even ask ourselves direct questions any more: avoid, smile, be charming; be the best, brightest, "rise to the top"...the top of what? The top of the hill? Shit rolls down hill...remember?

Even as an old guy, I can easily work straight 24 hour spurts to realize my creativity. I get very impatient when interrupted. Once my masterpiece is created: I feel very fulfilled...for about 2 days -- then real relationships need to be nurtured. My family and neighbors have needs that only I can fulfill...I find myself feeling inadequate at that point. While I can say I am indirectly contributing to our exploding economy (and an implosion of the wages for most people), the truth is that it's a drug I take at times to avoid growing up and thinking about other people.

Its all about creating more ways to distract ourselves and others from the gnawing ache in our hearts; the anxious thoughts that we don't know how to create solutions for our communities and our own relationship skills suffer.

________________________

So, I continue be excited about new technologies and passionate about creating, but I try not to fool myself. It is what it is: it's for my enjoyment and creative expression -- nothing to be obsessively passionate about.

What should I really be passionate about? What will really give me a sense of fullfilment and joy about life?

The answer is very naive and simple:

When we use our creativity, time and talents to help those around us, when we get to really know them, It fills the hole in our hearts. It is a peaceful and long-lasting fulfilment. Spreading the love causes a chain reaction that produces miracles: unsolvable community and global problems get solved one heart at a time.



No comments: